Case Study Four – Resort Development Operational Analysis
Project Scope and Implementation
& Operational Analysis
The Client - The developer acquired several parcels of land on an island owned by the Cuban Government with the vision of developing two resort complexes.
Background - The developers proposed to build a five star mass market all-inclusive resort and a contemporary style boutique hotel. The island is located off the Cuban mainland and is surrounded by some of the best beaches in the Caribbean. The beachfront land is level terrain and slopes upwards near the rear of the sites, ideal for vacation villas and resort accommodations.
- We were commissioned to assess the site initially before any construction or financing. This also included a full assessment of the market and potential demand for the proposed facilities.
- We made recommendations on the style of resorts, number of rooms, interior design, amenities (restaurants, conference facilities, spa, water sports, room service, lobby layout, activities) as well as what should be included in the vacation experience.
- We took into account the impact from the tourism product in Cuba, government regulations, air access and the US embargo.
- As these were “new build” resorts, we recommended a team-approach operating philosophy which was based on careful selection and development of small, multi skilled teams, led by supportive, standards-based team leaders and managers. This approach is known as How We Work Together (HWWT), a system developed by Moda Hotel & Resort Management. This would be the first type of operating system like this in Cuba.
- We also provided financial scenarios "best and worst case" for the developer, implemented timeframes and drafted a “go-forward” plan. The financial analysis included sales and marketing and an estimate of expenses towards a resort management company. Our findings and recommendations were detailed in a “Resort Development & Operational Analysis Report”.
- The recommendations presented were positive for the proposed development.
- We made recommendations on which facilities to include within the resort community.
- Our findings were presented to the developer so that they could make the final decision regarding design, layout and concept for the two proposed resorts.
Moda Hotel & Resort Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. Reg No. 6848306
Registered Office: The Moda House, 1 High Street, Chipping Sodbury, Bristol BS37 6BA